Wednesday 19 February 2014

Saturday February 1st, 2014


         When I stepped off of our four hour flight from New York to Haiti, I didn't know what to expect. I always imagined being dropped off in the middle of a bare, dry field with children swarming all around us. To my surprise we were greeted with something very American looking, a normal airport.There is goes to show that we can't rely on ourselves or how we feel. During the flight I kept praying that I wouldn't have an emotional meltdown as soon as I got there, I wanted to be strong and be strong for what God had in store. The relatively good airport and the Haitian music lifted my spirits! :)


       I along with the rest of our group got picked up in a school bus from the airport in Port-Au-Prince, and we were off to the Orphanage compound. We stopped at a little gas station, and immediately people came up to the windows trying to sell us stuff or ask for food.  Leaving the city, we then were exposed to the real poverty. We drove by tent cities, refugee camps and lots of malnourished people. The very hardest part for me right away was not being able to jump off the bus and give them all I had with me. About halfway to Saintard, our bus driver and wonderful translator, Phinol, showed us an open dug mountain/hill with a tiny cross at the top. He informed all of us that there they had buried more than 300 000 people that didn't survive the earthquake in 2010. I looked over at my Aunt, I could see the tears welling up. Imagine that. So many people all just placed into one big hole, half of them not even recognizable.
        On a side note, When we got to the orphanage we met Mama Miss, also known as Phyllis Newby. She is a 75 years old missionary and has started over 270 churches across Haiti. She is the most incredible person I have ever met. Spending one minute talking with her and hearing how much she lives for the Lord, gives you shivers. She is currently running the orphanage. I met a little fellow by the name of Stanley on my first day there. My next blog will be all about him. I praise the Lord that he brought us there safely.
On the way to Saintard, we passed this little boy waving and crying as the bus passed. 

This is the lovely Mama Miss and I. 
The houses there are just terrible looking. We would never be happy living in them, yet they are thankful

2 comments:

  1. Anna this looks like such an amazing experience you had <3 Find a day to tell me all about it! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was incredible, and yes we need to find time to talk! Beware...I might be emotional (hence the blog so I don't have to explain to everyone). But I'd love to talk with you!:)

      Delete