Saturday 22 February 2014

Sunday February 2nd, 2014

        The first morning of being in Haiti, we were treated with the most gorgeous sunrise ever! The sun rises really early there and that's why getting up was no problem. I went out to the balcony to watch and do my morning devotions. It was so incredibly peaceful, despite the roosters, dogs and goats. There is just a stillness in the air that we don't have here in Canada, I miss it very much. My aunt Tina, her mom Susanna and Mrs. Harder made pancakes for breakfast that morning. 
IMG_2256 First Sunrise. That is a Papaya tree at the Compound. 
         We then made our way to City Blue. We drove in our school bus again. This is some of us girls, while waiting for the rest of the people to be ready to go.
We were about to get our minds blown by the church service.

         Our group along with the American missionaries attended an AMAZING church service. I'm used to the traditional church singing of hymns and this was unlike anything I'd ever witnessed before. When we walked into the church everyone was singing and clapping hardcore. I looked over at my friend Aggie and we both had completely tear filled eyes of joy. It was just so breath taking to see these broken people worship. The thing that baffled me the most was the fact that they used every last little bit they owned to glorify God. The person that played the keyboard was very talented, yet I doubt he ever had lessons. The church services was definitely one of the best moments in Haiti.

Outside and inside the beautiful church <3




The Worship leader and a female quartet.
        During the afternoon, after lunch (Sister Phyllis prepared meatballs and rice for us!), we went to all the job sights where we would be working. First we visited the Church that Abe Harder’s group had built last time. While there, I saw a little girl, looking to be around 5 years old wearing something that was way too big for her. It looked as if she was wearing this piece of clothing just so she was wearing at least something. Here is the pretty girl:

        We then went to a different church that they were going to put a new floor into because there was nothing but the dirt in it. While there, I met a chubby little friend. She was adorable! The Pastor for that church was blind so his faithful son was helping him out. He spoke the French that I can understand, not Creole, and we talked for quite some time. His name escapes my mind, but I do know that he was a great guy who was serving the Lord diligently.    


My  beautiful friends that I long to one day see in Heaven.

       The whole group walked along the beach with some of the children. There were these two particular girls, ages 7 and 16, they both followed me the whole time. They would pick really pretty sea shells for me and stuff them in my skirt side pocket. All of a sudden the older girl turns to me and she asks, “Aimez-vous Jésus?” (Do you love Jesus?). I was SO shocked. I answered her with, “Yes I do, do you? Are you a Christian?”. She told me about how she loves Jesus and how He not only died for me and her but for the whole world. We talked for quite some time until her older brother came along. He knew English well enough to converse with me. He told me how he teaches his siblings out of the Bible and how their household is one that is following Christ. I was very touched by their stories, and their love. 
These are the two girls, I’m not sure who the fellow is though. He wanted to be in the picture too.

       Something the girls especially love down there are shades. I guess they feel really cool wearing them or something because they all wanted to try them on.

A little too big for your face don’t you think honey? :p
      That first full day of being in Haiti was incredible and I wouldn’t give anything to change how it went. I got to know more of the people in our group which I loved. I miss everyone a lot! It’s strange having a bunch of people in your life for two weeks and then all of a sudden they just disappear. I’m very thankful for that first day that I got to meet everyone at the churches and along-side the shore.

Aside from the poverty, Haiti is an amazing Country. Praise the Lord for His fine hand in creating such amazing things.

No comments:

Post a Comment